Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"Fail To Plan, Plan to Fail"

I find it very difficult to write a blog without having a thought or a plan all laid out like I was preparing to write a book. I know that some people just write what comes to their mind or what is spinning around in their head but I find that is difficult to do. However, today I am going to try it.
      As you know, I do a lot of weddings in a year so I've seen just about everything. I have seen a lot of beautiful weddings that went exactly as planned and some where there didn't seem to be a plan at all. When I book a wedding I have a small minimal charge if the couple wish to include a rehearsal as part of the wedding. Some, probably 50%, will choose not to have me at their rehearsal. That is fine in many cases when I know the Venue where they are having the wedding has very capable coordinators who can run them through the rehearsal as well or better than I could. In fact, I will even suggest that some couples not pay the extra for me to do their rehearsal when I know they are in good hands at the Venue they have chosen.
     There is another group of people though who are getting married at Venues that don't have a wedding coordinator or at a rented hall, or backyards etc. Strangely enough, these people often choose not to pay the extra for me to be there even though they don't have anyone to help them. Being a musician myself, I compare it to a group of musicians who have never met each other being asked to perform as a group at a large event without any practice.
      If you as a Bride work and plan and work some more to get just the right DJ, flowers, photographer, beautiful center pieces etc. but the main event is a nicely dressed group of people not knowing when to come, when to go, where to go, what to do etc. then I really feel that takes away from everything else. The main event that people came for has left them with something to talk about but maybe not what you wanted them to be talking about, know what I mean?
      You must have heard the saying "fail to plan, plan to fail". It's true! You can plan till the cows come home but if you fail to plan the main event, I believe you are really missing out. Thanks for reading the ramblings of a Wedding Officiant.

No comments:

Post a Comment