Friday, January 13, 2012

Resolutions


Well, here we are in mid-January and most of us have already broken our new year’s resolutions. That’s why I personally don’t make them any longer. Do you know what the top ten New Year’s resolutions are? Take a look and see if yours is on the list.

1. Spend more time with family and friends
2. Get in shape
3. Lose weight
4. Quit Smoking
5. Enjoy life more
6. Quit Drinking
7. Get out of debt
8. Learn something new
9. Help others
10. Get organized

These are all very honourable resolutions. If we could keep them all we would be much better people, much healthier and certainly model citizens. The truth though is that we are human beings and human beings are not perfect. I try to follow the rule of moderation and avoid the excesses in life although my wife and my doctor would tell you that #3 is a must for me in 2012.

One of the things that I am trying to learn is to not make my goals so unreachable. If we could learn to live one day at a time and at the end of each day look back and assess our day in terms of what we are trying to achieve, we would be far better off. If I didn’t do so well today, I’ll try even harder tomorrow.

You know what? Marriage is really a resolution only a lifetime resolution. If we could just learn to take one day at a time and at the end of each day look back and ask ourselves the question. What could I have done better today? I’m talking about taking an honest look at ourselves. In every criticism of your spouse, I believe there is an element of truth no matter how much it hurts to hear it. Consider at the end of the day what your spouse has said and see if maybe there is something there that you could work on. That’s how marriages last. Have a wonderful 2012.

Rev. Norman M. Martin
Martin Wedding Officiants

No comments:

Post a Comment