Wednesday, July 13, 2011

How Is Your Memory??

I was asked recently if I would consider writing a monthly blog on Marriage. Well, I know quite a bit about weddings having performed ceremonies for close to 300 of them in the past several years. However, knowing about weddings is a far cry from knowing about marriage. I should know something about Marriage I guess after 44 years of being married to the same lady. That might qualify me to know something about my marriage but not necessarily yours. I am smart enough  though to know that I really don't know that much and I still need to pay attention. In any case, if even one or two of the things I have picked up over the last 44 years, come Aug 26, 2011, are helpful to you then it has been all worth while.

One of the things you might have picked up on right away, was that I remembered my anniversary and didn't even have to ask my wife. I have always made an effort to remember my wife's birthday, our anniversary, my Son's and Daughter-In-Law's birthdays and anniversary and the grand kids birthdays. With the technology we have these days on Ipods and telephones etc. there should be no excuse for forgetting an important date. Most calendars will even email you reminders. We have no problem remembing the things that are important to us. Most men know who won the Stanley Cup this year and who won the Superbowl last year. Forgetting your anniversary simply means that it is not that important to you and that sends a bad signal, a signal that may last a few days (if you know what I mean).

I heard a cute story a few years back about the two guys who were golfing. They had just set up to tee off on the 18th hole when one of the gentlemen stopped, took off his hat and put it over his heart while a funeral possession was going by. His buddy commented afterwards about being impressed over his friends display of respect. He said "Do you do that for all funerals". His friends response was "No I don't but this one was special, she was a good wife for almost 40 years". What's important to you these days???

No comments:

Post a Comment